Nicolas worked with a non profit organization called Pioneer Foundation Nepal, to make improvements to Sree Rameshawary School in Bungkot, Nepal. Improvements he and his volunteers made include:
- Designing and building toilets for the girls and the boys.
- Transforming a classroom into a library – painting walls, adding a mural and big metal bookshelves to protect the books from rats.
- Cleaning and painting the walls in a computer room, fixing broken computers and installing three new computers, a color printer/scanner and a router.
- Moving earthquake rubble to make the school ground safe again for the students to play.
- Collecting over 30 bags of trash and teaching the villagers to separate plastic from paper.
- Replacing volleyball nets and making two swings.
Nicolas completed his project through the help of 58 volunteers – of which 31 went with him to Nepal. In addition to the school facility improvements, they counted and distributed 1,820 pounds of donated items: school supplies, sports equipment, First Aid Kits, blankets, clothes, hygiene items, and blankets to five neighboring schools and villagers. They also filled 350 school backpack with school supplies for the students.
To fund the project, Nicolas raised $13,834. With the money left over, the headmaster of the school created a small scholarship funds to help the poorer students and their families rebuild their homes.
The project had a total of 1,834 service hours.
— Nicolas, Troop 75, Los Altos, Calif.